Wednesday 7 February 2007

I've started so I'll finish sometime














I feel like I'm on a first date. I'm so nervous. Should I shake your hand or kiss you on the cheeck. I don't know. Well, lets start the polite way, with introductions. I'm Wee Beef. Yes that's my real name, or at least it's my real nickname, from early schooldays. I'm almost 50 with a lot of time on my hands. More of that later. I've been threatening to write a blog for the last few months and now I've got around to starting one. Why not. Have I got anything to say. Only the next few months will tell.

Just two months ago I contracted, though I don't remember signing the contract, Guillain Barre Syndrome. I've always been suspicious of anything with a double barreled name and this time my suspicions were well founded. I noticed something wrong on the Tuesday afternoon when I couldn't quite turn the key in my front door. Shortly after that I realised that I needed two hands to lift the handbrake on my car. "What's happening,Man." shouted the little voice in my head. I called my doctor for an urgent appointment the next day. Wednesday morning arrived and I popped out of bed only to find that my trusty left and right pegs, that had served me well for so many years decided to wobble and shake. With great difficulty I hobbled into and out of the shower. That inner voice raised itself from a shout to a scream.....STROKE???MS???

I called my sister in desperation as it was obvious I couldn't drive myself to the footpath, let alone to my doctor. An hour later, having struggled with little power in my legs or arms, I was in the surgery. "Looks like a virus to me." said the young female doctor. "PHEW!!!!!! Not a stroke then?"."No...If it gets worse, just let us know".

It's at times like this that you see the true value of family. My sister took me to stay at her home were things certainly got worse. Within twelve hours, my legs had turned from feeling unsteady to jelly. Early the next day after a sleepless night of worry, my sister called for an ambulance to take me to the local accident and emergency department. Within half an hour the doctor on call had identified a possible cause for my condition. "Guillain Barre" he said. "That Liverpool footballer had it ,you know! We'll just have to do some test." Now we're getting somewhere. This "thing", this "invasion" of my body has a name. It's a starting point.


www.gbsfi.com


A few hours later I am in a ward in the hospital, lying, almost immobile, waiting for more news. Eventually a junior doctor comes along and tells me about the condition. It appears that the syndrome usually develops after someone has a virus. Your immune defence system is triggered into attacking your nervous system, starting with your outer limbs. This eventually causes paralysis. It's a rare condition. One in fifty thousand. "Oh Lucky Me"

Many people reading this have spent time in hospital, so I won't bore you with every detail of the two weeks I spent there, suffice to say that public health workers are worth their weight in gold. Dedicated , helpful, resourceful. All these and more.

Since leaving hospital in mid December 2006 it's been a tough journey. With every patient there is a different recovery pattern. Some take weeks, months, years to regain their former strength. Some never recover fully and a small percentage actually die from the condition. So yes"Oh Lucky Me"

So now I am convalescing at home as my legs start to work again and my arms begin their long journey back to life. What they don't tell you is about the long sleepless nights when your limbs "pop and fizz like firecrackers" as your nervous system reaquaints itself with it's old buddies. This too shall pass. For some the condition can increase anxiety and bring on depression. Sorry, "got the t-shirt" on that one, so I won't be travelling on that road, but I can see why it might lead there. Frustration and fatigue.

If you are someone who is recovering from Guillain Barre and want to get in touch, feel free to contact me

Anyway, thats about enough for now. I shall continue this blog at a later date, moving on to other subjects besides myself.

No comments: